I know it's not original, but I've found that the less I write, the less I write. I don't know why the feedback loop exists, but I'm positive that stagnation begets further stagnation. Conversely, the more I write, the more I write. Clearly, if my goal is to write, I should therefore...write more. I should turn up the tap. The problem is that I often have nothing to say except things that are dumb and boring, or things that are pretentious and derivative, or maybe things that are offensive and hateful, and so I usually second guess myself. The result of such editing, as we all know, is prose of only the highest imaginable caliber and refinement.The other thing is that I do need to improve my writing. I need to develop the skills to be able to write about what I really want to write about, which includes things like this but that also definitely includes things like this. But the point is that any hope of improvement and development is only going to come with more writing, not further self-restrictions. So in hopes of writing more and sitting idle less, I'm going to try to consciously decrease the internal filtration mechanisms that regulate the refinement of my blog output (the technical term is "blougtput")*. This means more posts about astronomy, making lunch, and why Benjamin Netanyahu should be ground into kibbeh, and probably fewer posts about public education, because that was going nowhere anyway.
*This is where my new approach leads
HOOOORAYYYYYYYY!
ReplyDelete:D
:D
This is good news.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are sweet!
ReplyDeleteAnd whatever happened to your writing, CC?
ReplyDelete