Everybody, there is some exciting stuff happening right now at I Want Blog Too. I am going to learn some abstract algebra from a bona fide math PhD candidate, and you can too! I don't understand what "abstract algebra" even means (Alex's definition said something about "structures" and "operations" which I guess means we'll be assembling a lot of toothpick and gumdrop bridges and playing dumb party games with tweezers) but I am very excited. Right now we're just on sets, which are as fun and digestible as a candy bar. Come on over.The idea behind this is to experiment with making math more like a creative, energizing game of puzzle-solving (which it is inherently) and less like an absurdly pointless chore. I have some strong feelings about this personally, because I'm sort of a latecomer to the idea that math is beautiful and exciting. I was a decent student in my high school math classes, but just due to memorization and drill. I found it tedious and intimidating. It wasn't until I started tutoring teenage kids while in college and later that I had to really get involved with math problems on a creative level. Unexpectedly, once I developed some agency over math, I started to love it...enough so that I chose to make it my subject as a teacher.
I encourage you to read Alex's post about this project and then join in. You can always stop if you get too busy or if you get bored or irritated, though I hope you will persevere like I might possibly.
You forgot to mention that I am a haphazard teacher having trouble actually making the problems interesting. But I try hard!
ReplyDeleteNo, you're doing a fine job. The whole point of this is that it's inherently interesting. The most important thing you can do is to be engaged, which you are. Keep it up.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
ReplyDeleteoh...also, i'm not sure that i'm technically a phd candidate yet. i think that there are exams i have to go through in another year or two before i can say that about myself. but you should feel free to continue to call me that. you could also call me doctor if you want?
ReplyDelete