Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Guantanamo

I had a dream a few nights ago in which I was applying to reenter my old high school as a student again. I was standing in a long line with a couple other alumns from the same institution who were there to enroll a young relative (niece?) in the school. I was not enthused about going back to high school, although I was trying to psych myself up for it. I wasn't quite sure why I had made the decision to do it at all. "Yeah, I plan to take mostly AP classes," I remember myself explaining, uncomfortably,

*****

The high school at which I currently work is a little under 400 kids. It's not the best place, but it's certainly not the worst either. I get to work at each morning at 7 am or just prior, only minutes before the front doors are unlocked and the first students arrive. The second they come in the door, they swarm my desk with a thousand questions, most of which involve whether and why they have detention. My desk is located in a catch-all downstairs office that is intended to coordinate all non-academic student concerns, from calling home when kids are throwing up to breaking them apart when they're trying to rip each others' hair out. But somehow this one duty -- masterminding daily school-wide detention for some hundred high schoolers each day -- has become the bulk of my daily routine.

In years past, detention was a teacher-by-teacher affair. You acted up in a teacher's class and you got an order to return to said teacher's room at lunch or the end of the day for an hour or half hour of resentful sitting and glaring. The advantage of this system was that it established a clear loop of action/consequence, in that the teacher who was slighted was the teacher who did the detaining. The disadvantage was that teachers already are expected to do a truly impossible number of duties each day anyway, and few have time to hold consistent detentions each day. Teachers get tired and detention becomes optional, and that's as effective as an optional parking ticket.

So instead, we now have a school-wide system with school-wide detentions. You act up in a teacher's class and you get points deducted;  if you lose too many points that day, you get a detention assigned for the following day based on the severity of your badness. Then, tomorrow afternoon, or at lunch, or in the morning, you come to a room where I am standing with a clipboard and a list, looking grouchy. This is all done via a helpful website that lets me see the points each student has, which teacher has deducted points and for what reason, and which students have detention at any given time. The advantage of this system is that it removes the burden of day-to-day discipline enforcement from teachers. The disadvantage is that it's essentially created a miniature bureaucracy that obfuscates the loop of action, blame, and responsibility. The consequence is coming not directly from the teacher but from the corrupt and malignant entity known as The School. (I mean, arguably this is also an advantage, as it's amply preparing them for a lifetime in contemporary American society.)

The other disadvantage, in my opinion, is that I myself happen to be the bureaucrat sitting at the nerve center of the Ministry of Love. The word "detention" slips into my ears and out of my mouth literally hundreds of times each day, whether I'm telling kids they have it or nagging kids to go to it or warning kids about the consequences of skipping it (suspension) or fielding complaints about the unfairness of the assignment of this or that instant of it or actually executing it. It consumes me from dawn til the moment I leave the building after dark. I had little hand in creating this system's rules, but I have been appointed its middle-manager, a semi-autonomous cog in the machine, a hooded inquisitor thug in some Wizard of Id cartoon. Don't get me wrong, I am no strongman. (Just today, I am pretty sure I was overcharged for a medium Domino's pizza but felt too shy to question the price on the phone.) I don't need to be. I just tally the points, make the list each day, and make them shut up and sit there and think about what they've done.

6 comments:

  1. "[G]overnment by bureaucracy is called popular government... the use of power to manipulate is called the public control of power, and the arbitrary abuse of power is called observing the legal code." As long as the most egregious rights violations (like clearly erroneous convictions or indefinite detention, and I'm not even talking Guantanamo just civil and criminal contempt) are couched in procedure, however arbitrary, most people seem willing to swallow or even defend them. I'm not saying that's how it is at your school, just saying that seems to be in the nature of procedure; "I'm just following orders/ doing my job" is a common theme. Procedure obscures responsibility and facilitates control with less chance of retaliation. It has its place, of course, but when it becomes overly convoluted and/or begins to outweigh fairness and accountability with economy, something is not right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it's in the nature of procedure to facilitate exactly what you're talking about, but sometimes I also feel like we've developed this unhelpful cultural bias against procedure (and in the name of individualism/iconoclasm) that translates into contempt for the very idea of the rule of law. You know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a dream LAST NIGHT that we were all living together on Ash St, all of us who used to do that, that is. We found out that the house was built atop radioactive material and we stoically quarantined ourselves inside the house, never to leave again. It was weird dream to say the least. Apocalyptic.

    Oh yeah. We had a pool in the back yard and it was HUGE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am proud of us, I guess. Were we doing that to keep others from being exposed to it? It doesn't seem very productive. Shouldn't we have gone to seek treatment instead? Do you think it was a Fukushima Daiichi-inspired dream?

    Also, it was a really big backyard. We could have had one hell of a pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. No, we were all like "This is it. Best prepare to die." We were drinking (beer, gin, vodka, and tequila and there was some cranberry juice and lemons) and sort of reveling in the melancholy. It was like how when something really fucked up happens, like finding out you've been exposed to radioactivity, sometimes it feels better to be deeply sad than it does to rectify the situation. We were all totally into reflecting on life and contemplating our mortality. Everybody was getting along. We were united in common purpose.

    It wasn't productive. It was romantic. Death is good to dream about and I think this was a past and death inspired dream. The pool was just coincidental.

    (The reply is black-on-black, fyi.)

    ReplyDelete