Saturday, April 7, 2012

Temperature

Lately, much more so than usual, I feel like there's nothing interesting going on out in the world, near or far. It was Spring Break, now it's almost not. I went to Arkansas, now I'm back. I ate some food. I drank some beer. I sat in the sun. I read a book. Put me in a dark closet and cover me with dirty laundry, please.

Maybe it's just me or maybe it's the zeitgeist. I don't really believe in the zeitgeist -- some invisible river of culture flowing over everyone, propelled by time's passage -- but of course I do anyway. Anyone else? Has the feeling above increased, decreased, stayed the same?

5 comments:

  1. I just cannot believe that's true. Are you being serious? I feel the opposite, but I've never been that hip... I feel that I, that we, are on the verge of something very different, but at the same time I feel I'm growing more roots and becoming more myself. Or, rather, that I know why things are the way they are. Does that make sense? Ack, probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on trudging, Benji, these things are cyclical, I believe.

    I battle this feeling a lot too. Endless days on days on days ahead, nothing but the same. But then! Oh! I'm going to Hawaii on Monday :D Sorry, I don't mean to brag, only to point out how life has snips of very happy excitement, we just have to patiently wait for them, if we can. If we dare! Keep on trudging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that when I start to feel like that I picture myself as an 50 or 60-year-old. Then, usually, I think, "What if I never see that age?" and then immediately picture some kind of horrific and violent accident I have that kills (and possibly dismembers) me. And then! I think, "What did I even do last week? Holy shit, I don't even clearly remember half of this morning!"

    So, like, start imagining death. And *that* should snap you back into the moment. Or make you slightly, if not majorly, paranoid.

    And, yeah. I feel like that frequently. Not today, but I did last week.

    Also, the Zeitgeist is real. Otherwise Hegel wouldn't have written about it.

    ReplyDelete